Alain Saffel's Bookshelf

Titles pulled from my bookshelf and reviewed. You'll also see reviews of current books.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Former journalist and former accountant. I now run an Edmonton SEO (search engine optimization) company called Page One SEO. I still write and love photography. My personal blog is: http://alainsaffel.com

Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Kitchen Con: Trevor White

It has been a while since I've posted, but it certainly doesn't mean I haven't been reading. Kitchen Con: Writing on the Restaurant Racket, by Trevor White is the latest book on my nightstand.

I heard it being discussed on CBC one day. The next week I was in the library and spotted it among the new books. Being a bit of a foodie (how qualified I know not) I decided to pick it up. I was especially interested in it from a journalism perspective, that being my chosen profession. (Well, a writer anyway.)

White discusses restaurant critics and how reliable there ratings really are, and exposes the underbelly of restaurant criticism. I'm not sure how much anyone has ever really trusted these ratings, unless you're Michelin or Zagat, but even then.

I thought the best part of the book was that in which he discussed the state of nutrition (or lack thereof) in modern society. Our diet is full of what can only be described as garbage, and he tackles that subject nicely.

It's obvious from how the book is written that it evolved as he wrote it. It is certainly not predictable, which is part of its charm.

If you're looking for a good read that will leave you laughing as well as having learned a little, you ought to pick it up. If you want to know what White thinks about some of the famous TV chefs out there like Gordon Ramsay or Jamie Oliver, I won't tell you here. Pick up the book.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Trevor White said...

Dear Alain
Thanks for your kind words about Kitchen Con. I'm delighted by the response to the book in Canada – where, I must say, the restaurants are, in general, far better than those here in Ireland. I'll be back!

10/05/2007 1:06 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home